1. Nothing is impossible through self-discipline. Christian Wolff (Ben Affleck) is not your average type of bad ass. He has high functioning autism. A genius with numbers and the incredible ability to go into hyper focus mode. He’s socially awkward; blunt and direct. Jokes, sarcasm, and common social cues confuse him. It’s funny as hell to see his conversations with people. Arrogant douchebags despise him. Chill people accept him. Christian learned to live an independent, self-sufficient life.
Christian’s father (Robert C. Treveiler) was a soldier and self-discipline perfectionist. He took his boys, Christian and Brax (John Bernthal) around the world. They our trained by the best martial artists and Special Forces type operatives. He raised them to stand their ground and perform with the utmost precision. Failure is not an option. Christian became an independent accountant for high profile criminal organizations. Brax became the leader of a hit squad. Christian survived the criminal world by staying on the move and outsmarting his enemies.
Christian’s a killing machine. Nobody can match his deadly fighting and shooting skills. Intense self-disciplined allowed Christian to overcome any obstacle that he came across.
2. Simplicity over complexity. Simplicity keeps Christian moving forward in life; rigorous routine and hyper focus. He must complete tasks or he becomes agitated when his plans fall apart. He lived with nothing but the essentials. He had few possessions along with a few beautiful painting masterpieces. They brought him peace and calmed his mind. Christian had about a dozen identical suits and shoes. He owned one set of silverware and dishes. It took him 50 seconds to do the dishes. His food menu was simple. It never changed. It takes me five minutes to decide what to eat from a menu because everything looks good. Million-dollar idea: Restaurants where you can sample the menu before you eat it like Costco. Now, make it happen!
I love pure simplicity and efficiency. Decision fatigue is a bitch to deal with. I hate wasting time on unimportant decisions. Finding ways to automate unimportant decisions is a lot of help in life. Don’t complicate life. Flip the bird to stress and anxiety.
Living a simple life brings out the best in you. It enhances your focus on what’s most important in life. You begin to lead a meaningful life. Amazing things start to happen.
3. Embrace who you are. Christian was socially awkward and he was cool with it. He ran into problems and he solved them without complaint. Fear didn’t hold him back. He was not afraid to be who he was. His autism didn’t slow him down; it made him stronger. Christian embraced his strengths. He could go into hyper focus mode and master anything he put his mind to.
When you focus on your strengths, you no longer see yourself as a failure. You know who you are. You’re capable of greatness. Disabilities or limitations don’t have to hold you back. You can overcome any challenge in your life when you have faith in your abilities.
4. Live by an honor code. Christian was in prison for a while and his cellmate became a father figure, best friend and mentor. He handled numbers for a mafia crime family. He taught Christian everything he knew about surviving the criminal world. He also taught him how to become an accounting mastermind. The crime family had Christian’s mentor tortured and killed. Christian struck back with brutal vengeance by taking them all out. Christian has a strong loyalty to those that are close to him. He lives by a strict honor code. You don’t screw with his loved ones or those he cares about.
Honor is what separates us from the scumbags. The true test of a warrior is in their strength of character.
5. Love can conquer any obstacle. Christian met a friendly accountant, Dana Cummings (Anna Kendrick) on one of his accounting jobs for a client, Lamar Black (John Lithgow). Dana took a genuine interest in Christian. Christian and Dana discovered inconsistencies with Mr. Black’s company financials. Mr. Black was an evil, old crony businessman. He hired Christian’s brother Brax and his hit squad to kill his employees who knew too much. Christian found out Dana was in danger and he risked it all to keep her safe. He took her to a safe place, while he took down the hit squad and worked things out with Brax. Christian and Dana developed a strong connection towards each other. Dana wanted to pursue a romantic relationship with him. Christian believed she would be better off without him.
That’s bullshit. Love always deserves a chance to succeed because it will amaze you every time. No obstacle is impossible to overcome through love. Don’t ever give up on love under any circumstance. Love is more powerful than you could ever imagine.
What amazing things have you accomplished in life through self-discipline? Did you ever think it was possible? Share in the comments.